Monday 27 January 2014

A day across to JB

The first overseas trip in 2014... that was across the border to Malaysia for a shopping and eating trip with siss. As it was a weekday, there was not much people travelling over though Chinese New Year was around the corner. 

A light breakfast at home led to a heavy lunch - we went to Bornga for some korean food. Though Bornga also co-exist in Singapore, I have not been to the local branch yet. Like all said, for most of the restaurants, it is normally cheaper to eat in JB than in Singapore. Well, it applies to Bornga as well. For the three of us, we ordered a BBQ pork, a tofu stew and a seafood pancake. 

Frankly speaking, I found the food quite normally. The seafood pancake wasn't crispy at all. It was a bit soggy but in my impression, I had crispy pancake before. The best ever korean pancake I had was at Big MaMa in Singapore. As for the BBQ pork, though it looked like alot, there were quite a fair bit of pork with just the fats. Sinful dish but well, it really goes well with the lettuce. I loved the way Koreans mix meat with vegetables. A pity that they did not provide garlic which I thought was a norm and went well with the pork. 

As the the side dishes, Bornga did not disappoint me. There were in total seven different variety and personally, I found the Kimchi, the potato salad and the peanuts the best - well flavoured. We did not ask for any refill as we were real full though I am not sure if they allowed free refill. 

Total damage for the meal was MYR98. There was like less than SGD40. Woooah... Sis had Bornga in Singapore before and she mentioned that for the same food, it costed her SGD80. Crap! We should really go over to JB to eat if time allows!

Bornga Korean Food

I was not expecting myself to buy anything that day as I always did not see things that I liked. But as Chinese New Year was coming, I was hoping to get a new pair of shoes. And here this pair of heels caught my eyes. A normal black pair of pumps but with a bright orange heels. NICE. It costed MYR75 but that was a 20% discount (=MYR60)  if we used Citibank Credit Card or if we purchased 2 or more items. Sis helped me to pay using her Credit card and when the bill came, the heels costs SGD24. Wooah... My best buy of the day!

Black pump with orange heels

Well, time passed fast when we shopped and it was time for dinner. Not knowing what to eat, we stumbled upon PaPa Rich - Malaysian Cuisine. After looking through the menu, siss concluded that it is simliar to White Town Coffee. In the end, we ordered Chicken Satay, Curry Mutton, Penang Prawn Noodle, Chicken Noodle. The best dish was the Curry Mutton with the Naan. The Naan was softer as compared to what we had in Singapore but it complemented the curry very well. The Chicken Satay was tender but I preferred the peanut sauce found in Singapore. The peanut sauce at Papa rich was not very thick. The chicken noodle was quite noodle and the prawn noodle was a little too spicy to my liking. Overall, the food was quite decent though we preferred White Town. 


Papa Rich - Chicken Satay, Curry Mutton, Penang Prawn Noodle, Chicken Noodle

With this, we ended our JB day trip! A fruitful and filling trip indeed. Till we cross the border again!

No comments:

Post a Comment